Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 02:10:17 CEST 2005

I demand that Udo Richter may or may not have written...

> Darren Salt wrote:
>> Would you mind setting your wrap width to <= 80 columns?

> Actually, the mail is wrapped at 75 columns,

After quoted-printable decoding, I find that the longest line in that message
is 85 characters long. With your common or garden monospaced font, this
exceeds 75 columns.

The encoded text has no lines longer than 74 columns, but many of those which
are 74 columns wide end with '='... allowing for an assumed trailing space,
is that from where you got your "75 columns"? If so, you've been measuring
the wrong thing.

(I'm tempted to base64-encode this so that I can say that no line in this
message exceeds 64 columns, but I won't.)

> but with format=flowed,

That's there, yes, but uselessly: there are no trailing spaces.

> so mail readers can remove wrapping line breaks again.

None to be removed, but some could certainly be inserted...

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | nr. Ashington, | d youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk
| Debian,     | Northumberland | s zap,tartarus,org
| RISC OS     | Toon Army      | @
|   Retrocomputing: a PC card in a Risc PC

"What? This isn't the Files section?"