[vdr] Softdevice or Xine?

Jouni Karvo jouni.karvo at tkk.fi
Fri Oct 7 07:50:09 CEST 2005

hi,

Darren Salt writes:
 > > The reason why a separate xine is nice is that currently the setup eats up
 > > all the CPU cycles. [...]
 >
 > Hmm? I'm seeing around 30% CPU usage with gxine (2GHz Athlon, Radeon 9200,
 > 266MHz bus, AGP 4x).

<...>

 > Something's evidently not right with your setup. Are you using Xv? Have you
 > tried the native R200 support in a recent 2.6 kernel and X?

Finally, after upgrading to 2.6.13.2, I found the problem!  (what a
relief)  After upgrading, the CPU cycles were properly reported and
top gave the crucial hint...

FYI:

If you start xine in background directly from init scripts with
--stdctl it seems to hog all your spare CPU cycles.  Removing this
(unnecessary in this case) option did drop CPU usage from constant
100% to a total of about 20%.

yours,
		Jouni