[vdr] Thread priority of cutting thread in vdr

Emil Naepflein Emil.Naepflein at philosys.de
Mon Oct 10 10:13:25 CEST 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:54:56 +0300, Marko Mäkelä wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 06:52:12AM +0200, Emil Naepflein wrote:
> > This is pretty useless on my system because the loss of responsiveness
> > is mostly caused by the disk accesses and not by cpu usage.
>
> Are you sure that DMA disk transfers are enabled? If not, the copying
> with programmed I/O (PIO) will consume CPU.

As I wrote, there is no problem with cpu usage. And DMA is enabled as I
use a Promise SX6000 controller (SCSI interface). The main problem is
that the cutting thread reads and writes the data through the buffer
cache and purges useful data from the buffer cache. Any disk access when
using the menu then is delayed considerably. This is with a 2.4 kernel.
The 2.6 kernel behaves much better in this regard.

Emil