[vdr] A new generation of DVB devices

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Mon Oct 10 18:33:57 CEST 2005

Several years ago, when VDR was first developed, it was based upon a
then all new DVB card, which implemented a complete device with tuner,
MPEG decoder and optional CI adapter.

Now, more than five years later, and with the advent of HDTV, it's time
for a new generation of DVB devices.

Here's a list of the features such a device should have:

    http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/hdtv-dream.htm

Ok, this is a dream I have - I don't know if any manufacturer will
ever come up with such a device. But then again, in the mid-nineties
the DVB cards we have now were a dream as well...

Please let me know what you think about this, and if I have forgotten
anything or got something wrong.

Klaus