[vdr] A new generation of DVB devices

Dr. Werner Fink werner at suse.de
Mon Oct 10 18:42:01 CEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 06:33:57PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Several years ago, when VDR was first developed, it was based upon a
> then all new DVB card, which implemented a complete device with tuner,
> MPEG decoder and optional CI adapter.
>
> Now, more than five years later, and with the advent of HDTV, it's time
> for a new generation of DVB devices.
>
> Here's a list of the features such a device should have:
>
>    http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/hdtv-dream.htm

Just have a look to

     http://www.vdrportal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=34730

> Ok, this is a dream I have - I don't know if any manufacturer will
> ever come up with such a device. But then again, in the mid-nineties
> the DVB cards we have now were a dream as well...
>
> Please let me know what you think about this, and if I have forgotten
> anything or got something wrong.

The problem right management introduced by the film industry ...
this will stop manufacturers selling such hardware.

       Werner

--
AC3 loop through sound card http://bitstreamout.sourceforge.net/
Howto http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=1958