[vdr] Anyone experience with stability of Alphacrypt compared to Irdeto Allcam?

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Fri Oct 14 11:26:25 CEST 2005

Hi

After 4,5 years of using 2 Irdeto Allcams in 2 VDR-systems i'm in the
process of buying the parts for a third VDR-instance.

First i bought an Alphycrypt ((light) which i got yesterday) to test if it
works with our biggest pay-tv-provider in germany.
It does work. And the recordings since yesterday evening (only 6 so far)
were all OK.

Now i wonder if the Alphacrypt is more "stable" than the Allcam. Every now
and then the Allcams "lose" sync for a few seconds to a few minutes and in
the last few month the data-rate on the movie channels (1,2 and 3) were
increased and most times need more than one attempt to get a
corruption-free recording. I've had up to 20 "glitches" in movie recordings
in the past few month, whereas there is normaly only 1 at most 2 in a
"normal" corrupted recording on any other channel.(*)

So i wonder if anyone knows from experience if the Alphacrypt is better(tm)
and if i should replace the 2 Allcams with another 2 Alphacrypts.

*:
I "vdrsync" my recordings into a single .mpg file.
Only when vdrsync throws is NO or only a 'PTS overflow' error in the
process i define that recording as "error-free" and keep it. Otherwise i
flush it don't the toilet.