[vdr] A new generation of DVB devices

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Fri Oct 14 15:49:14 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 03:27:35PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Peter Dittmann wrote:
> >

> > > Please let me know what you think about this, and if I have forgotten
> > > anything or got something wrong.
> > >
> > > Klaus
> >
> >I would add a seperate layer for subtitle.
> >I'm working with DVD decoders and they provide seperate layers for OSD
> >and subtitle.
> >This would remove the concurrent access to OSD for DVB and DVD subtitle
> >generation.
>
> Is it really necessary to have both subtitles and OSD menus at the same
> time?

Yes.  I have missed the subtitles while using OSD menus.

> After all, you can only reasonably use one at a time ;-)

Both layers (OSD and subtitles) are mostly transparent or translucent,
and the subtitles typically cover only a small area on the screen.
I would say you can reasonably use both.  At least I routinely
simultaneously access the OSD menus and read subtitles on channels
that burn the subtitles on the MPEG video stream.

	Marko