[vdr] HDD spin down and VDR

Norbert Goebel egalus at gmx.de
Mon Oct 17 15:35:12 CEST 2005

Matthias Fechner wrote:

>Hi,
>
>i will enable the power saving of my harddisk.
>I have a VDR system with 2xFF card and 4 Harddisks.
>
>Now i'm not sure, if this is a good idea and hwoto do it.
>
>I have enable this powersaving, has it any disadvantage to the
>livetime of the harddisk?

If you use desktop harddrives it is not recommended to cycle them too often.

>Should i enable the powersaving or better the spin down in the BIOS or
>can i do it on my linux system?

You can enable it with hdparm.

>What is the behaviour of VDR if a recording is starting and the HDD is
>not running? Will VDR send a startsignal to the harddisk early enough?

Sorry, no idea about that cause my recording hdd is also my system hdd
which I never suspend (as you need to do many things to teach linux not
to write to hdd every few minutes). I only "suspend" my other hdds in my
vdr server (as these are hdds for mp3s, documents and so on which are
not needed most time of the day).

Greetings,
Egalus