[vdr] HDD spin down and VDR

Joerg Knitter joerg.knitter at gmx.de
Mon Oct 17 15:49:48 CEST 2005

Hi,

Matthias Fechner wrote:
> What is the behaviour of VDR if a recording is starting and the HDD is
> not running? Will VDR send a startsignal to the harddisk early enough?

No, VDR does not send a startsignal. So the harddisc turns on directly
before the recording. I can´t say if data is being buffered or if it is
lost, up to now I had no problems, so I believe that there is enough
buffering.
BUT: My second HD goes down after 5 minutes and it is the bigger HD. So
most of the recordings will start on the second HD and played back also
only from the second disc, so I can´t say for sure if I simply had no
problems because most of the time everything is recorded on the second
disc. But I already had recordings distributed on both discs, and I have
  had no problems when I demuxed it, so no packages were lost.

Jörg