[vdr] Recording to dvd on the fly

Olaf Titz olaf at bigred.inka.de
Mon Oct 17 23:06:03 CEST 2005

In article <43538A06.3060007 at kober.net> you write:
> I waas wondering if it is possible to demux/remux vdr to burn direct to
> dvd, while recording. I would like to see if that is possible, that when
> setting up a recording in the event of limited harddrive space I could
> record a show direct to dvd, without having to delete anything first.

AFAIK this is not possible, since creating DVDs is a multi-pass
operation - you need the complete VOBs to create the indexes and you
need the complete VOBs and various index files to create the ISO
image. I highly doubt it is even theoretically possible to do this on
the fly; at least the ISO disk format is too limited.

Olaf