[vdr] encrypted channels - dumb question

Simon Baxter linuxtv at nzbaxters.com
Thu Oct 20 09:10:21 CEST 2005

Hi.

Has anyone been able to get VDR working for encrypted channels?  Whether
it be digital terrestrial, cable or satellite?

I'm not wanting to do anything illegal, but I would like to know how
this works.  Some providers give you a smart-card, so I guess you'd need
some kind of plug-in to allow validation of the 'key'.  I've also had
cable subscriptions where if you want another channel added, you phone
the provider of your set-top-box and they enable something.  How does
this work?  Could this be done with a DVB-C VDR setup?

Thanks