[vdr] HDD spin down and VDR

Matthias Fechner idefix at fechner.net
Mon Oct 24 12:08:26 CEST 2005

Hello Rainer,

* Rainer Zocholl <UseNet-Posting-Nospam-74308- at zocki.toppoint.de> [23-10-05 23:39]:
> What CPU+VGA do you use?
> Have you meassured the power consumption?

the point here is, that i dont want to save electrical power, more to
increase the livetime of my harddisks. All cheap harddrives are build
to run 8 hours and 5 days a week and not more. If you run it 24 hours
a day, the lifetime is decreasing significantly (i think instead of
100 hours you only have 20 hours).

> >I have enable this powersaving, has it any disadvantage to the
> >livetime of the harddisk?
>
> No. Not if you don't spin down it every 2sec for 1sec 365*24h

ah ok, that is fine to hear.

> Have a look at the "noflushd" package.
> It will spindown all /dev/hd you like to spin down.

thx, i installed it now, with hdparm it seems that i have some problems.
If i send the sleep command with hdparm it is going to sleep but not
automatically if i set the timeout with hdparm.

> Or replace the 4 small disks with one big!
> If one disk requires 10W and run 7*24h it will generate costs
> about (currently) 10..15 Euro (in Germany).
> 3 disks 45 oy
> 200GB Disk 90 oy:
> in less than 2 years the disk was paid by your energy company...

:) i have 4x160GB running on my system *g*

Bye
Matthias