[vdr] Dumb question on DVB-C

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 11:03:39 CEST 2005

Simon Baxter wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm currently using a Nova-T card for terrestrial DVB, but would like to
> add a DVB-C card and connect to cable.

Yeh, that works like a charm.

> Am I right in assuming that channels on cable are organised much like on
> terrestrial, with 3 or 4 transponder frequencies carrying 3 or 4
> channels each?  I wonder, because as the cable is provided by a single
> supplier, I wasn't sure how the channels are mapped.

In the UK at least, you'll find about 20 'transponders', each of which
carries about 10 TV channels in QAM64.

> Secondly, are channels that require CAM decrypting all generally on the
> same transponder?  Or are these pay-channels interspersed with the free-
> to-air ones across the frequencies?

Yes, there's at least a 'BBC' and an 'ITV/C4/5' which are all FTA.
Pretty much everything else is crypted except the TV shopping channels
and the radio stations.

Cheers,
Gavin.