[vdr] FF vs Budget cards ??

Marko Myllymaa myllymaa at niksula.hut.fi
Thu Oct 27 11:01:41 CEST 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Simon Baxter wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm using a Hauppauge Nova-T budget card under VDR.  It works like a
> charm - can record one and view multiple channels in the same
> transponder at once.
>
> Is this also the case with FF cards?  With their 'onboard' mp2 decoder,
> do they also allow recording of multiple channels?

FF cards can record multiple channels and view one. I have old
fujitsu-siemens dvb-c FF card in slow P166 machine. I can record 3
channels and view one or view one recording at the same time.

Viewing many channels at the same time is imho not possible with FF card,
unless you re-encode the streams to fit in one stream.

> How does this work?  Are the mp2 decoder and 'tuner' separate on the
> card, and can VDR dump some streams to disk as well as using the
> decoder?

Yes. Afaik.

  Marko