[vdr] sc

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Oct 28 00:19:37 CEST 2005

kari at kniivila.com ("Kartsa") writes:

>> I don't know why, but I hope using sc in your homeland is illegal
>> too.  With this post you might learn that some lawyers might be
>> interested in you from now on and you could write a nice story about
>> your trial in this newsgroup ;)
>>
>> So please keep this newsgroup clean and legal, thx.
>>
>> Norbert
>
> Just for curiosity. If I have only budget card can I not use sc with a
> cardreader? Is the use of sc itself illegal?

It would be illegal in the same manner like mp3 decoding (irdeto algorithms
are covered by patents) and you might violate the contract with your provider
(e.g. a big german ones allows certified receivers only). Providing vdr +
vdr-sc might cause problems with youth protection law also (a big german
provider sued people selling modified DBoxes on ebay because the parental PIN
was not asked anymore).

But this is civil law only; when using vdr-sc with a valid subscription
you will not violate DMCA like criminal law because you are not breaking
any encryption.  Using libdvdcss to view your paid DVDs is much more
illegal than using vdr-sc...

Enrico