[vdr] sc

Kartsa kari at kniivila.com
Fri Oct 28 08:15:05 CEST 2005

Malte Schröder [MalteSch at gmx.de] wrote:
> >> in Germany it is illegal, because to have the problem that
> you try in
> >> software to decrypt something.
> >> Only the try is forbidden by law.
> >

> > Is decrypting by software illegal in Germany ?
>
> No, that would be rediculous. But it is illegal to cirumvent copy
> protection schemes (i.e. as far as I understand it, you may
> not produce
> a  copy of your favorite protected audio-cd to make it work in your
> car-radio :/ ).

I don't see what that has to do with this. I don't think this is about
braking copy protection since in order to decrypt I would need keys which I
get by getting a leagal subscription and thus getting a smartcard from a
provider. The point here (in my original question) is that if I have a
smartcard reader which happens to have USB or RS232 interface then why could
I not use it together with sc instead of CAM? In both external reader and
CAM I would need a subscription wouldn't I? The only difference is where the
decryption is done (hw or sw), right? Ofcourse CAM is better if CPU is
slower.

Or am I missing a point here? Or is it even possible to use smartcard
readers other than CAM?