[vdr] Pb with softdevice and vdr in deamon mode

Dominique Dumont domi.dumont at free.fr
Sun Sep 11 14:25:15 CEST 2005

Hello

I'm trying to setup vdr with a budget card (only, no ff card) and
softdevice.

When I launch vdr and softdevice from a terminal, everything is
working fine (with xv)

But I'd like to set up vdr as a daemon (i.e. launched by init.d) so
recording can begin even if I'm not logged.

So far, I've managed to run vdr (from debian package) and softdevice
after some crude hacks:
- I've added and 'export DISPLAY=:0.0' in /etc/init.d/vdr
- I must be logged in and perform a xhost local:

I'd like to be able to run vdr as a daemon with softdevice plugin
loaded. For this I need softdevice to not try to connect to X11 until
a command is sent to vdr daemon (either through the remote control or
SVDRP).

This command would need to contain the display name to connect to.

Does this sound reasonnable ? (or did I miss something ?)

Thanks