[vdr] DeleteResume patch for vdr 1.3.32.

Helmut Auer vdr at helmutauer.de
Sun Sep 11 21:57:46 CEST 2005

Hi

>> You are right with noise and heat, but the disks will live longer when
>> you disable spindown.
>>

> That obviously depends on how often you spin them up and down.

Thats surely right :-)
> I would assume that a disk which is on for 2 hours a day
> and off for 22 (so it spins up/down once per day)
> lives *a lot* longer than a disk that is on for 24 hours a day.
> What do you think?

I'm far away from having exactly an idea where the break even point is,
but I'd guess that one spinup will cost some hours of the lifetime of
the harddisk.
So in a "usual" living room scenario where the recordings button will be
pressed sometimes I'd prefer not switching off harddisks - btw. usually
there is only one disk in a living room system and with kernel 2.6. you
will drive crazy when you try to get that beast sleeping :-)

That looks different on a server system ...

Helmut Auer, helmut at helmutauer.de