[vdr] vdr-xine and alsa audio mixer

Richard Wall m-lists at the-moon.net
Wed Sep 14 02:21:24 CEST 2005

Hello list,

I've setup vdr with the xine plugin and am very impressed, but I can't
seem to control it's audio independently of other audio apps.

I want a setup where I can mute the vdr-xine DVB audio and load / listen
to an audio CD / mp3 / DVD.

I'm using Ubuntu Breezy and when I change the volume in xine / vdr-xine
it seems to alter volume of any other audio apps eg totem. Infact it
seems to alter the PCM level in alsamixer.

I don't know a great deal about alsa, but I've read about my soundcard
(an ATI IXP, integrated on MSI RS480M2 motherboard) and apparently it
doesn't support hardware mixing and I need to use the dmix plugin.

Well I tried that, and it works with alsaplay, but I can't get xine to
use the dmix plugin.

Has anyone got any ideas?

-RichardW.