[vdr] Pb with softdevice and vdr in deamon mode

Dominique Dumont domi.dumont at free.fr
Wed Sep 14 18:30:01 CEST 2005

Hello Marko

Sorry for the previous unfinished message. I've hit ^C to stop a
process but forgot that my mouse was focused on gnus. :o|

Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at hut.fi> writes:

>> But I'd like to set up vdr as a daemon (i.e. launched by init.d) so
>> recording can begin even if I'm not logged.
>
> I'm doing exactly that.  There are no X11 related packages installed
> on the system.  Instead, I'm using DirectFB output on a Matrox G450
> card.

... DirectFB is a nut I've yet to crack...

> If you are interested in such features, please see my VDR related
> patches at <http://www.funet.fi/~msmakela/software/vdr/>.

You have an intestering setup. My concern is that my home PC is my
only machine at home. It's used for a lot of other applications
besides vdr. So I'll first try streamdev plugin.

>> This command would need to contain the display name to connect to.
>
> Can't you just set DISPLAY=:0.0 in your runvdr script?

I often run 2 sessions at the same time, one for me and one for my
wife. So setting up DISPLAY anywhere in a file owned by root is a
temporary hack.

> It does.  I guess XFree86 or X.org runs on more cards than DirectFB.
> I'd use DirectFB, as it allows the computer to start up faster, and
> you can use the virtual consoles on top of the TV picture (at least
> on the Matrox G450).

I'll keep that in mind, but for now, I'd rather run plain vanilla xorg
so my son will still be able to play tuxracer.

Thanks for your help.