[Fwd: Re: [vdr] How does VDR handle AFD?]

Malcolm Caldwell malcolm.caldwell at ntu.edu.au
Thu Sep 15 14:25:08 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 14:10 +0800, mike lewis wrote:
> > I think AFD is in use on one channel here in Australia.
> >
> > I have tried the AFD patches for the dxr3 plugin, but the annoying thing
> > is that when I switch from an AFD channel to a non-AFD channel the
> > framesize/aspect ratio is not reset.
> >
> What channel?

I see AFDs on Southern Cross Darwin which until recently called itself
channel 7.

> I also thought there was AFD data in at least some of
> the ausy channels, but I found a unix test tool dvbsnoop
> (http://dvbsnoop.sourceforge.net/) which apprantly can tell me if
> there is AFD data in a stream.  I found none in the particular channel
> which was giving visual artifacts (10) which convonced me I was
> barking up the wrong tree...  I ended up writing a filter to block the
> artifacts in xine (still testing.., it's half way working).
>
> Did the dxr3 patches work as expected?  I'd love for AFD to be there..

No.  As I said they worked in as much as when I watched that channel
everything was Ok, but once I changed back to another channel without
AFDs I would end up with eg. a 16:9 programme displayed as a 4:3 on my
4:3 display.

As there was only AFD information on the one channel I did not debug
this any further.