[vdr] Changing VDR directory structure

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Fri Sep 16 15:45:35 CEST 2005

jori.hamalainen at teliasonera.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am building a little video share system for VDR, it copies selected recording
> directories to a network drive.
>
> As some of you can guess, the problem is " : " -character at VDR directory
> structure. Samba filesystem doesn't accept it.
>
> So my question is that why it was chosen in the first place, and can it be
> changed to " ; " -character. Or any other than not allowed samba characters.
>
> Disallowed chars are at least: < > / \ :
>
> I don't see any benefit in VDR to be samba-incompatible.
>
> Of course why I ask here is instead of just patching my sharing VDRs. Because
> if new filename format is to be standardized for VDR usage, and probably VDR
> patch that it will accept both formats (with ";" and ":"). And it would help
> everyone sharing VDR-files with Windows machines.
>
> Best regards, Jori
>
> Ps. Or is there some other way round this limitation? I tried samba.conf global
> option "valid chars=\:" but it didn't help.

 From VDR/INSTALL:

If your video directory will be on a VFAT partition, add the compile
time switch

   VFAT=1

to the 'make' command. Alternatively, you can call VDR with the command
line option '--vfat'.

The ':' was replaced with '.' in version 1.3.32. The reason why it has
been used originally was that I wrote VDR on an actual operating system
and didn't think of that M$ crap ;-)

Klaus