[vdr] Softdevice or Xine?

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Mon Sep 26 12:45:29 CEST 2005

I think that http://softdevice.berlios.de/ is the official home page.

>     Xine-plugin
>     http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Xine-plugin
>
> Those seem to be the best homepages for the plugins, but as I'm no native
> German speaker (I can order a beer, but that's about it) I have a fairly
> hard time grokking the finer details of pros and cons.
>
> What do you others use when you want to get a good image from VDR? Which
> of those plugins is the preferable solution in this case? The system in
> use should cope just fine with some decoding done by the CPU. The system
> has a Sempron-something 2400+ and an ATI fanless 9250 card (I think it
> was).

I'm using softdevice with a budget DVB-T card (Hauppauge Nova-T PCI 90002)
on a Matrox G450 on DirectFB.  For some reason, the Matrox TV-out connection
eats more CPU than VGA.  The 900 MHz Intel Celeron has enough power to
deinterlace the picture.  I think that something like 500 or 600 MHz would
be the minimum requirement on a Matrox card.  Other cards may require more
processing power.

I don't have any experience with the Xine-plugin, but softdevice has
gotten much more stable during this year.  Crashes occur very rarely
nowadays, even if the signal is bad.

	Marko