[vdr] Softdevice or Xine?

Niko Mikkila nm at phnet.fi
Mon Sep 26 13:43:19 CEST 2005

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:53:09 +0300 (EEST)
"Jan Ekholm" <chakie at smultron.net> wrote:

> There seems to be two solutions that are currently used:
>
>     Softdevice
>     http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Softdevice-plugin
>
>     Xine-plugin
>     http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Xine-plugin
>
> Those seem to be the best homepages for the plugins, but as I'm no native
> German speaker (I can order a beer, but that's about it) I have a fairly
> hard time grokking the finer details of pros and cons.

There is also some information in Linuxtv.org VDR Wiki:
http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php

> What do you others use when you want to get a good image from VDR? Which
> of those plugins is the preferable solution in this case? The system in
> use should cope just fine with some decoding done by the CPU. The system
> has a Sempron-something 2400+ and an ATI fanless 9250 card (I think it
> was).

Xine has superior deinterlacing filters such as TomsMoComp and Greedy2Frame,
which is very important for video fluidity and quality. I have not followed
Sofdevice development recently, but at least with Xine-plugin, the MPEG-2
decoding and video display is separated from VDR to the Xine process. This
should prevent VDR from crashing at decoding bugs (if there are any) and
you can close Xine and X without worrying about VDR.

ATI's X drivers may give you some gray hairs, but I have heard they've gotten
better in the last year or so. Your system is powerful enough to handle HDTV
software decoding and deinterlacing if you get XVideo working.

Regards,
Niko Mikkilä