[vdr] Softdevice or Xine?

Jouni Karvo jouni.karvo at tkk.fi
Mon Sep 26 15:03:35 CEST 2005

hi,

 > but there are recordings going on. This further improves stability.

I have a dedicated VDR box running vdr-xine with P4 2.4GHz and Radeon
9200.

Stability is not currently a problem (1.3.27) - since spring the
system has been easily up more than a day :)  It has stayed up
without problems for at least a week, but due to my usage of
nvram-wakeup, I have no statistics of longer uptime.

The reason why a separate xine is nice is that currently the setup
eats up all the CPU cycles.  Killing xine for the time when I am doing
something on the box like updating will speed things up considerably,
and the VDR itself will continue recording if it has something to
record etc. without disturbing.

Btw. if someone has any hints on how to reduce used cpu cycles, they
are warmly welcome.  And yes, I use the fglrx driver - without that
the picture is jerky.

yours,
		Jouni