[vdr] Softdevice or Xine?

Niko Mikkila nm at phnet.fi
Mon Sep 26 19:22:28 CEST 2005

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:01:42 +0200
Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard at e-dition.fr> wrote:

> DFB must be way lighter than X. In my case, it is nearly 80MB RAM less
> (counting X + Xine - softdevice). CPU utilization depends on hardware
> acceleration, WTR MPEG2. Nothing should impact CPU in DFB per se.

I agree that DFB is lighter on memory usage, but to be fair, X is not
such a memory hog either. Plain X.org reserves about 10 MB physical
memory and that can be cut down by disabling unnecessary extensions.
It may be a bit difficult to measure actual X.org/XFree86 memory usage
because the numbers generally include the display framebuffer that
actually resides on the graphics card (don't know how DFB manages
display memory). X may also store some client pixmaps on the server.

So, for me X uses 10 MB without a window manager and Xine-ui uses 32 MB
(of which 12 MB shared) when playing a 640x480 MPEG-2 video. Add a light
WM and you'll get 40 to 50 MB combined. Hardly significant for
a stand-alone box without other apps than VDR running.

--
Niko Mikkilä