[vdr] Softdevice or Xine?

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Mon Sep 26 19:25:01 CEST 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 05:07:35PM +0200, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> The softdevice developers are really productive : there is a recent
> "suspend-patch" for VDR, that allows to stop MPEG routing to the display
> when not in use. This should apply to any output method (FF-card, Xine,
> softdevice...)
> This is linked to a key on the remote, to allow easy suspend/resume.

I wouldn't consider myself a softdevice developer.  I've merely submitted
some bug reports and suggestions, and Stefan Lucke and Martin Wache have
been doing the hard work.

My suspend patch and the relay control plugin (available from
http://www.funet.fi/~msmakela/software/vdr/) work on vdr 1.3.30 and
above.  I've tested the most recent versions on vdr 1.3.32 and 1.3.33.

I cannot recommend the suspend patch for users of hardware-based
MPEG decoders.  The proper way to suspend the video output would be
to send an encoded black picture to the output device, like the
suspendoutput plugin does.  Some day, I might try to improve that
plugin, but don't hold your breath.

Maybe vdr 1.5 will get a suspend feature out of the box, given that
software-based decoding solutions can decode HDTV channels on powerful
processors with advanced power saving features.  On my Celeron system,
suspending the video output will reduce power intake by about 15 watts
- perhaps a little more if the VGA output were somehow switched off.

	Marko