[vdr] udp streamdev

matthieu castet castet.matthieu at free.fr
Mon Sep 26 22:04:20 CEST 2005

Hi,

syrius.ml at no-log.org wrote:
> matthieu castet <castet.matthieu at free.fr> writes:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>do you know if there is a plugin that works like streamdev-server but
>>use udp connection instead of http/tcp :
>>I try to use a wifi network where collision/bandwidth is limited.
>

> hmm using udp instead would not reduce the bandwidth and would also
> certainly reduce the quality if you tend to loose packets.
As tcp need acks from the client, with http I have :
dvbbox -> wifi master -> client -> wifi master -> dvbbox
        data           data      ack+http            ack+http

With udp I hope to only have
dvbbox -> wifi master -> client

Because on wifi only one host could send packet at a given time (not
full-duplex), with udp I save the time need for "client -> wifi master
-> dvbbox". With that time I could send more data. Also I avoid some
collision, and could send more data.

> Maybe you can run ffmpeg+ffserver or vlc to send a re-encoded stream.
That's what I wanted to try next.Is there a way to link them with vdr ?

I could also make an ad-hoc connection between dvbbox and client and
have 2 more bandwidth, but both will lose internet connection :(

thanks

Matthieu