[vdr] Radio channels in VDR

Joerg Knitter joerg.knitter at gmx.de
Thu Sep 29 10:42:04 CEST 2005

Hi,

there are some points that I don´t like with the current implementation
of radio channels:

1) I have sorted my channel list lately and have put the new German
radio channels (BR, HR, WDR etc.) at the beginning of the channels.conf.
But after an EPG scan, I got all those channels again and the end of the
channels.conf, so that I have all of them twice. Unfortunately, I don´t
have access to my channels.conf now so that I can´t post parts of it,
but if somebody else has this problem, this seems to be a VDR bug as
long as Astra does not send those channels twice.

2) I was told (if I understood correctly) that because radio channels
don´t transmit video data, the index.vdr contains an I frame for every
audio packet. This has 2 disadvantages: 1. The time is displayed wrong,
and 2.  starting a radio recording takes very long (around 10 seconds
without any reaction of VDR?) on a 90 minutes recording from "WDR
Mehrkanaltest" until I hear anything, maybe because it takes so long to
read the index.vdr?
The advantage seems to be that I can cut radio at every single frame,
but as I am also not able to this with TV and need external tools for
this (I use Cuttermaran for Win), I would rather prefer exact time
information and a faster start of playback and use external tools if I
want it exact (e.g. for archiving it on DVD). Frame exact cut for TV and
radio could then become a goal for VDR 1.5.x.

3) A separate main menu entry for radio channels.

With kind regards

Joerg