[vdr] streamdev-client -- doesn't connect to streamdev-server --> "Channel not available"

syrius.ml at no-log.org syrius.ml at no-log.org
Thu Sep 29 17:07:16 CEST 2005

> On Thursday 29 September 2005 13:05, Luca Olivetti wrote:
>> En/na Thomas Glomann ha escrit:
>> > now I can watch TV on my laptop via wlan :)
>>
>> You can do that also with the networked xine plugin
>>
>> Bye
>
> Hm. What are the pros and cons of networked-xine and streamdev-xine?

hmm i'd say
networked-xine:
pros:
 + vdr-xine is actively developped and supported, the network patch is
   a simple hack.
 + only one vdr setup
 + fast channel switching
 + very stable.
cons:
 - only accept one viewer. you can't have 2 xine-ui processes
   connecting to vdr
 - fastforward/etc seems to be a bit laggy/buggy. (don't know if it
   happens with original vdr-xine)

streamdev:
pros:
 + provides http and vtp streams
 + you can have more than one view at the same time
cons:
 - the author hasn't too much time to work on it at the moment.
 - for vtp, you need several vdr setups. far too much things are
   duplicated in that case. on the vdr-streamdev-client you can add
   timers on the vdr-server but you have to use a special menu. if you
   press record in the schedule menu on a client the recording will be
   made on the client (and it's not configurable) imho it's not
   optimal.
 - not very stable, especially with several viewers.

i use both plugins but mainly vdr-networked_xine.
Unfortunatly both don't work that well when used at the same time
ex: vdr-networked_xine live watching is stopped when you start a
http stream.

Anyway both plugins are essential to me. thanks again to the authors !