[vdr] Problem with ^A in Filename

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Mon Apr 3 15:10:40 CEST 2006

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Patrick Fischer wrote:
>> @Ripley's unglaubliche Welt
>> will be saved as (only shown if I pipe "ll . > out.txt" and look at
>> the file or by using xterm)
>> @Ripley^As_unglaubliche_Welt
>
> The single quote character is mapped to 0x01 so that in shell script
> it is guaranteed that no recording name contains such a character, and
> you can always be sure that enclosing a recording name in single quotes
> will work.

This is only true in classic mode. In VFAT-mode, unsafe characters like
this are mapped to literal ascii codes, in this case '#27'.

Using ASCII control chars (0x01 alias SOH for ', 0x02 alias STX for /)
in file names doesn't sound like a good idea to me anyway. Wouldn't it
be better to use '#27' and '#2F' (and consequently '#23' for #) in
non-VFAT mode too?

Cheers,

Udo