[vdr] Problem with ^A in Filename

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sun Apr 16 14:28:48 CEST 2006

Udo Richter wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
>> Patrick Fischer wrote:
>>
>>> @Ripley's unglaubliche Welt
>>> will be saved as (only shown if I pipe "ll . > out.txt" and look at
>>> the file or by using xterm)
>>> @Ripley^As_unglaubliche_Welt
>>

>> The single quote character is mapped to 0x01 so that in shell script
>> it is guaranteed that no recording name contains such a character, and
>> you can always be sure that enclosing a recording name in single quotes
>> will work.
>

> This is only true in classic mode. In VFAT-mode, unsafe characters like
> this are mapped to literal ascii codes, in this case '#27'.
>
> Using ASCII control chars (0x01 alias SOH for ', 0x02 alias STX for /)
> in file names doesn't sound like a good idea to me anyway. Wouldn't it
> be better to use '#27' and '#2F' (and consequently '#23' for #) in
> non-VFAT mode too?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Udo

I've now made it so that in "normal" mode (non-VFAT) the single quote
is not mapped any more (IIRC I thought that this might be necessary
for external commands, but with strescape() and "..." this works just
fine). The '/' and '~' are swapped between internal and external
representation, so that no more "control" characters are used.

For backwards compatibility 0x01, 0x02 and 0x03 are still recognized.

Please give the attached patch a try.

Klaus