[vdr] Grab image failed

Jan Ekholm chakie at smultron.net
Sun Feb 5 11:17:13 CET 2006

On Saturday 04 February 2006 14:21, Peter Juszack wrote:

> Since VDR-version 1.3.? grabbing images to disc is disabled by default
> for security reasons. It is just possible to get then base64 encoded
> over the SVDRP conncetion with 'GRAB -'.
> You must set a VDR commandline parameter to a directory to enable grab
> to disc. Grabbed images are stored under that directory.

Really? I've never really seen reliable grabbing, I usually just get gray or
(nowadays) black images. I run 1.3.37 and when I do a "grab /tmp/foo.jpeg"
over SVDRP I end up with a fine completely black image. I have not enabled
any parameters that would allow saving to disk, so I guess these security
restrictions come with some patch you have used?

Using "-" as the filename doesn't seem to do anything, at least I don't see
any base64 data over my telnet connection, VDR just happily says:

250 Grabbed image -

The base64 stuff sounds really interesting though. At one time I had a patch
that did just this, but it was almost two years ago and it doesn't work
anymore. It would be really handy to have the base64 stuff built into VDR.

Somewhere around the place I've got an unfinished short story about
Schroedinger's Dog; it was mostly moaning about all the attention the cat
was getting.
                                   -- Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett