[vdr] vdr+vlc streaming without streamdev

Luis Palacios luis at derqui.net
Mon Feb 13 14:15:11 CET 2006

El 13/02/2006, a las 9:47, Gavin Hamill escribió:

> Luis Palacios wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I tried without success: vlc -vvv v4l:/dev/video0 [...etc...]
>> but it fails with a "can't access /dev/video*".
>> I have a budget (skystar2) card, is that the reason why /dev/video*
>> doesn't get available?
>
> Correct. /dev/video provides full-frame video, completely
> uncompressed.
> Hence it only exists when using a full-featured card, because the card
> does the MPEG2 decode.

Ok, thank you Gavin.

Let me add some complexity and find out (before buying) more about it.

What if I add another board to my setup? I'm planning to buy a DVB-T
(Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-t USB2) for terrestrial view.
(http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/products/data_novatusb2.html)

I guess vdr supports this: 1xDVB-S + 1xDVB-T, but how does
it handle it?, two vdr instances? or one instance and special
channels.conf?

Would I get VLC access to /dev/video*? when Terrestrial channel is
selected?

Anyone has this type of setup and is willing to share experience?

Thanks again,
luis