[vdr] Converting a radio recording to MP3

Olaf Titz olaf at bigred.inka.de
Tue Feb 14 23:17:31 CET 2006

In article <m2n-43F22A6F-20F9 at bigred.inka.de> you write:
> km from the place I'm now, and I realize that it is a 100 MB file I
> should transfer by sftp every day. So I'd like to compress the file and
> convert it to MP3 directly on the linux box, in order to compress it

Use vdrsync to extract the audio track and lame to transcode it:
vdrsync.pl -audio-only /path/to/recording/
lame --mp2input vdrsync0.mpa recording.mp3

Choose suitable lame options for encoding quality (e.g. --preset cd
selects a bitrate of 192kbps which is just the same as the usual audio
tracks on DVB-S; consequently this results in an MP3 file of almost
exactly the same size as the MPA input).

Olaf