[vdr] Fsck on HD on shutdown, if time permits

Laurence Abbott laz at club-burniston.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 19:36:50 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 19:19 +0100, ... wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a large video-partition (1 TB) and would like to schedule a fsck on
> these partition during the shutdown of vdr once a week but only if there is
> enough time (let's say 1 Hour) until the next timer will be executed via
> nvram-wakeup. The shutdown-script seems to be problematic because vdr is
> still running and i will not be able to unmount the partition. During
> startup is always a problem, because there might be a timer waiting.
>
> Is anybody willing to give me a hint how to solve this situation ? Perhaps
> someone allready solved this problem.

Maybe you could remove the actual shutdown command from the shutdown
script, spawn a background process from your shutdown script which kills
vdr, sleeps for a few seconds (or have a loop watching for any vdr
processes), unmounts the partitions and fscks it, and then does the
actual shutdown.

Obviously, you'd have to work in the 'once a week' bit, and checking
whether there is at least an hour until the next wakeup time.

Nice plan, though: I get annoyed when my vdr box starts doing a long
fsck every 30 boots, or whatever and I have to wait for that before I
can watch TV! Doing it at shutdown every so often would be much more
productive!

:)

Cheers,

Laz