[vdr] [RFC] Eliminating the 'summary' field of timers (update)

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Wed Feb 22 09:50:15 CET 2006

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Here's an updated version of the draft for eliminating the
> 'summary' field of timers:
> - The new flag tfModified = 0x8000 will be _set_ whenever the
>   user modifies a timer via the "Edit timer" menu after the
>   timer has been created.

After more consideration I don't like this any more.
This flag would typically be set on a normal (i.e. plain
vanilla) VDR (where users manage their timers through the
"Edit timer" menu), making the flag numbers unnecessary
large. Since I originally wanted to keep all auxiliary
information confined to the 'aux' field (and the fact that
a timer has been modified can only be of interest to external
apps that use the 'aux' field), and just clearing the 'aux'
field in such a case was objected to by Matthias, I tend
to define that if the first character of the 'aux' field
is a '?' (question mark), that character will be set to
'!' (exclamation mark) if the timer was modified.
As a mnemonic: "?..." asks whether the timer was modified,
and "!..." means "Yes! The timer was modified".

Of course we can use a different pair of characters if
somebody comes up with a suggestion.

Klaus