[vdr] Reelbox

Harald Milz hm at seneca.muc.de
Mon Feb 27 18:04:54 CET 2006

Mario Ivankovits <mario at ops.co.at> wrote:
> > -> http://www.knc1.com/d/produkte/digital_dvb_s2_plus.htm
> >
> Minimum System requirements

>     * Intel kompatible CPU ab 2 GHz (ab 3.2 GHz Dual Core für HDTV)
>     * min. 1 GByte RAM

For Windoze...

> I dont know if I should laugh or cry.

This is the basic issue regarding HDTV / DVB-S2 anyway.

> We need a high end pc which produces pretty much heat and noise just to
> view non-recordable copy protected stuff.

I am not sure about that. The Windows drivers will make sure that the
HD out is only active if HDCP has been authenticated properly. As for
other drivers, I am not sure. There is no such thing like HDCP end-to-end
(broadcasting station - TV set) encryption (or am I missing something here?
Can somebody please shed some light on this?). That being said, HDTV streams
will probably be encrypted by other means, meaning you will need a smart
card or similar. We aren't talking about illegal watching here, are we?

The CPU horsepower issue will remain, though. Or you use a HDTV decoder
card like the Sigmatel 8620 based ones, should a Linux driver ever exist.

So - don't give up that quickly...

Any takers for the DVB-S2 driver?

--
Walk softly and carry a megawatt laser.