[vdr] rid and channels that have incorrect data

Malcolm Caldwell malcolm.caldwell at ntu.edu.au
Sat Jan 7 17:54:55 CET 2006

Hello,

A few of the channels I can receive broadcast incorrect data.  (Eg
satellite data where nid is not unique across the whole satellite.  I
also have a terrestrial channel that does not broadcast the correct
frequency).

What I do in this situation is use rid.  There is one problem:
Even with rid!=0, the channel will still be updated by vdr.  So, to fix
the channel I have to have two versions.

The first with rid=0 which vdr updates and installs the incorrect data.
The second has rid=1 which vdr leaves alone.

Now: given that rid!=0 will never be set by a scan, I think it would be
better if vdr just left all rid!=0 channels alone.  This way rid could
indicate "don't auto update".  This behaviour would not affect the other
use of rid.

Now, I know some people are going to say "get the broadcasters to fix
it"...,  but I don't think that is a reason not to make this change.