[vdr] VDR 1.3.38 and "-u root"

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Tue Jan 10 02:34:44 CET 2006

Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> For distributions the only sane default is to ship vdr running as
> unprivileged user. It's really helpful if upstream vdr also behaves
> this way by default as more people and especially plugin developers
> notice if there are permission problems.

Distributions usually ship with their own startup scripts, so they're
free to always use -u. And even if an user starts the vdr process
manually, its usually from a non-root account, or?

(btw. my vdr has always been running unprivileged, and I've used the su
patch before)

What about throwing a warning to console if vdr runs as root and no -u
is specified?

Cheers,

Udo