[vdr] VDR 1.3.38 and "-u root"

hgm.bg vdr.hgm.bg at gmx.net
Tue Jan 10 12:19:48 CET 2006

Ludwig Nussel wrote:

> I vote for automatically using user vdr when started as root to
> promote the unprivileged user mode and to emphasize that using root
> is not recommended.

Is there any reason why a software should force anyone to do what seems to
be the best ? I use my vdr-system for years running as root and i'm happy
with it, no access from the outside world possible, so why should i waste
hours for changing a lot of stuff on my vdrsystem only because some fanatics
think i have to ?

Yes it's better to run vdr with a non-root account and if i have to setup my
vdr-system completly from scratch i will do so, but until then please leave
the possibility to run it as root.

Just my 2 cents.

> cu
> Ludwig