[vdr] Which DVB-T

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Wed Jan 25 23:55:39 CET 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 11:24:16PM +0100, Damien Bally wrote:
> I'm quite happy with the hauppauge nova-t pci (conexant model).

More exactly, it is the DVB-T 90002 REV C176.  I just bought a second one.
The circuit board design has not changed at all since the new Nova-T
was introduced, except that some contacts on the newer unit are not
solder-plated (they're bare copper).

> Despite the broken aerial pass-through, this is good piece of hardware that
> works well with 2.6.13+ kernels and vdr.

I don't know about the pass-through yet (what is broken in it?), but
I can confirm that the card works with 2.6.13+ kernels out of the box.

The IR receiver circuit could be better.  I've developed a wakeup-by-remote
circuit for it (http://www.iki.fi/~msmakela/electronics/worc5/).  The circuit
seemed to drop the range of the remote control.  I recently measured a little
with a memory oscilloscope and ended up wondering why the IR module outputs
a '1' signal of about 4 volts.  It turns out that the cx23882 (whose pin
GPIO[16] is connected to the IR signal) has 3.3 volt I/O.  Apparently, the
bundled IR receiver module does not work with 3.3 volt supply.  So, the
Hauppauge guys chose to drop the 5 volts from the PCI bus by R47 (49.9 ohms)
to something like 4.1 volts, so that the cheap IR receiver will still work and
not kill the I/O pin on the cx23882.

Next step for me is to get a 3.3 volt capable IR receiver and connect my
hardware to the 3.3Vaux and PME# lines on the PCI bus.  The 3.3Vaux is
directly connected to the LED on the board, but PME# (A19) is unconnected.
Then I should be able to get rid of the Wake-on-LAN cable, i.e., the
modification can be installed as a daughter board on the PCI card.

	Marko