[vdr] burn-plugin und vdrconvert produces copy protected discs ;-(

peter.dittmann at freenet.de peter.dittmann at freenet.de
Thu Jan 26 11:12:53 CET 2006

Hi,

It's no fun, working on DVD-Players I stumbled accross a potential future issue with all our home(linux) made DVDs.
Obviously there is a reserved CGMS field defined in the DVD-R file system spec for every ISO directory record.

Mkisofs does not add this field (not even a padding) which results into the player smelling a copied disc and refuse playing.
It looks like most newer players have this "feature" enforced from the DVD-Forum
Looks like this is the next generation Un-DVD ;-(

It looks like the problem is only happening on discs only using ISO/Joliet but no added UDF filesystem (mkisofs has CGMS support for UDF in). Unfortunely it's default for vdr-burn and vdrconvert which means all our home made discs are affected.

As a workaround until mkisofs is addapted (already mailed the maintainer) we need to add the -udf switch to mkisofs to also generate an UDF file system.

Peter