[vdr] Re: 1.3.41 and buffer reserve

Alain Vaslet alain at vaslet.de
Mon Jan 30 10:25:31 CET 2006

Klaus Schmidinger schrieb:
> I was not referring to the bandwidth of the entire transponder.
> I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed. I was referring to the
> individual signal of the ZDF channel, with
>
> VPID: 110
> APID: 120=deu,121=2ch
> DPID: 125=dd
>
> Apparently they are broadcasting that channel using a bigger chunk of
> the total transponder capacity, which means a higher data rate, ok,
> but ultimately results in a sharper image with more details and better
> audio (why else would they do it?). And a sharper image means that
> the video signal has a higher bandwidth, doesn't it?
In analog video transmission I would agree but here the bandwidth
applies only to the entire transponder only, not to one TV channel.
Because of modulation (e.g. DVB-T -> COFDM) a single program cannot be
associated to a special frequency (range). Just nitpicking but bandwidth
is too often mixed up with data rate.

Alain