[vdr] Xine and CPU Usage

Chad Flynt hoochster at sofnet.com
Mon Jan 30 15:19:34 CET 2006

Niko Mikkila wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:46:57 -0600
>Chad Flynt <hoochster at sofnet.com> wrote:
>

>>I guess I should also state I am using DirectFB, I am going to try and
>>that is the problem.
>>
>>Chad Flynt wrote:
>>

>>>I recently got xine up and running on an AMD 2600+ and all seemed to
>>>be working fine, I am wanting to do High Definition and it was coming
>>>close to maxing out the cpu and just wasn't perfect on the HDTV
>>>channels.  So I decided to swap it out with one of my other systems.
>>>I changed it out for a 64 Bit 3500+.  I didn't compile my kernel in 64
>>>bit mode, but otherwise as far as I can tell, set everything back up
>>>the same as it was before.  All works, but my CPU usage is much higher
>>>just on normal channels and on High Definition it really isn't that
>>>high but I get jerky picture quality on any High Def Channel and I
>>>didn't have that on the slower system.  My cpu on the slower system
>>>would run bout 5-10% with Xine, and hit 80-90% on HDTV and that high
>>>the pic quality just wasn't the best it could be but it was smooth.
>>>On the faster pc, I average bout 17-20+% on regular channels, which
>>>seems very high compared to the other, and on HDTV I am only running
>>>bout 60% but I am sure that is cuz of the jerkyness and it just not
>>>being smooth.
>>>
>>>My question is, is there anything I missed maybe?  I just ran default
>>>settings on the old system and tried on the new and running into this,
>>>I haven't tried messing with deinterlacers or anything like that,
>>>mainly cuz I don't know enough about them.  The only thing I can think
>>>of is the chipsets.  The old system ran a Nivida 2 chipset and the new
>>>system runs a Via K8t800Pro VT8237 chipset.  Is there something I
>>>should do differntly?  Any suggestion are gladly welcomed.
>>>Also trying to get the onboard SPDIF to work, haven't tried installing
>>>Mplayer yet to test it, but can't for the life of me make it work via
>>>Xine, even with the Pass Through set etc, hopefully missing something
>>>on that too.
>>>

>Were you using the same graphics card on the older system too?
>
>--
>Niko Mikkilä

Indeed, I just swapped motherboards/cpus/memory.  Everything else stayed
the same.  That is what blows my mind, I will admit I screwed up and
decided to build fresh which I should have first just redone the kernel
but that has never been an issue before hehe.  So just wondering if I am
missing some magic ingredient.  It makes no sense that the much faster
pc is using much more load than the slower pc, and I didn't get stutters
or anything on the HD channels on the old pc, you could just tell it
needed a little more power to even things out, but other than that the
video was very smooth.  As where now on HDTV it is real jerky.  I did
solve my audio issues with the help of a friend and google, so all I got
left is the cpu load problem.  Would like to learn more about scaling
the video but I am not concerned with that till I make the rest work hehe!

I have tried going back to the old DirectFB/DFB++ src I was using on the
old pc, I have used the old Xine-Lib/UI from the old pc, all same
results.  I have installed all my codecs etc back on to see if that made
a difference but don't think it utilizes any of that unless I use like
Xineplayer or something.  So only thing left is the motherboard chipset,
that maybe I have to patch the kernel or something for VIA dunno.  But
willing to try any suggestions.  One other notable mention, one of the
dependencies for Xine-UI and also DirectFB is XLIBS-DEV.  That package
is now deprecated due to Xorg.  So I wasn't able to install it.  I run
Debian, so I just forced Xine and DirectFB to be built without it, maybe
I should look at the ./configure and see if there is something I should
disable instead of doing that?  But would that have any significance if
I am not using X at all?  And can anyone give me any good reasons why I
would want X installed and run VDR/Xine through it instead of a Frame
Buffer being as this is a dedicated TV System?  I just don't want to
install it if it isn't going to gain me any advantages but if it will
run better, give more scaling/deinterlacer options etc then by all means
I have the power to run it.  Just didn't see the need and figured it
would use up more resources than it was worth.

Thanks again for any assistance.