[vdr] GPL Licensing?

Niko Mikkila nm at phnet.fi
Tue Jan 31 16:59:34 CET 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:18:37 -0600
DVB WannaB <dvbwannab at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation, and not trying to start a license flaming war,
> it just bothered me more than anything that someone is making a buck off of
> everyone else's hard work.  But I guess if it is legal, what can you do.  If
> people are stupid enough to buy it, then I guess it is on them.
>
> Thanks again.

Don't be bothered. Think about all the Linux distributions for example.
There wouldn't be SUSE, Redhat, Mandrake, etc. if the Linux kernel
wasn't licensed the way it is. It is also quite likely Linux wouldn't
be where it is today without the commercial distributions, so there you
go. In case of VDR there is also a good chance that people who package
it and sell it, make the software much more known than it would
otherwise be. Even better if the packagers provide full support for
the software too. I can't speak for the VDR developers, but personally I
would find that quite desirable.

On the other hand, if the people packaging VDR would claim that it is
completely their own work and didn't provide the source code, that would
be disrespectful and annoying.

--
Niko Mikkilä