[vdr] TV-out, softdevice

Malcolm Caldwell malcolm.caldwell at ntu.edu.au
Thu Jun 1 01:59:16 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 09:47 +0300, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 03:31:31AM +0300, Niko Mikkila wrote:
> > If you want good interlaced TV-out with much less problems and
> > tinkering, I'd recommend getting a full-featured DVB card or
> > a Dxr3/Hollywood+ card (that'll cost less than EUR 15 on eBay).
>
> I'd say that -P"softdevice -vo:mgatv" (on a G450) is less hassle than
> -Pdxr3.  Because my dxr3 broke only after a couple of months of usage and
> I've been using softdevice for almost 1.5 years now, I may be biased.
> Softdevice has gotten a lot more stable during that time.

I also switched from dxr3 to softdevice with a matrox G450 about 10
months ago.

For me the G450 has been a lot more stable.  With the dxr3 I had
crashes, OSD failures etc etc.  I was upgrading my vdr dxr3plugin
version every week or so hoping things would improve.

Reading the lists it would seem that the dxr3 solution has improved:
perhaps I jumped ship just a bit early...  Even if this is so I am still
glad I converted.

Regardless, IMHO softplay makes softdevice a superior solution.