[vdr] [ANNOUNCE] vdr-mailbox-0.4.0
lists at seca.inka.de
Sun Jun 11 19:44:40 CEST 2006
a new release (0.4.0) of the Mailbox-plugin is available at
Changes since version 0.3.0:
2006-05-20: Version 0.4.0-pre1
- Developed and tested with vdr-1.4.0 with Gentoo-Linux/gcc-3.4.6
- Adopted changes to the Makefile as required since vdr-1.3.47
- Added a service-call "MailBox-HasNewMail-1.0" to allow other plugins
to query if there is at least one new mail present.
This call doesn't query the mail accounts at the mail server, instead
it simply returns the currently known status for those accounts which
have enabled the periodic check.
There will be a patch for the Elchi-skin to use this call to
(optionally) display a mail icon in the replay and channel info.
- Added a new configuration option to the common settings to setup the
connection timeout. A value of 0 uses the system default. A reasonable
value would be somewhat smaller than the watchdog timeout of vdr
(option -w when starting vdr). The default setting is 0.
- Added new configuration option for every mail account to display an
OSD message when unread mail is present. Pressing OK while the message
is visible opens the mail account.
It isn't necessary any more to use the external mailcmd.sh to simply
display the "new mail in ..." message on the OSD. The feature of the
external mailcmd.sh is still available and may be used for other ways
to signal the arrival of new mail, e.g. switching on some LEDs.
- Added new configuration option for every mail account to display the
number of unseen mails in the main-menu entry of the plugin.
- If necessary the plugin converts the mail (subject & body) using
iconv from the charset used in the mail to the charset used by vdr.
- Mail parts encoded in Base64 are decoded and displayed.
- The Plugin now queries the width and font of the text area to make a
nice word-wrapping (especially when wrapping quoted text). To use this
feature, the skin has to implement the methods
cSkin::GetTextAreaWidth() and cSkin::GetTextAreaFont() as the
standard-skins Classic & ST:TNG and the Elchi-skin currently do.
- The mail account passwords are now stored in an obscured way in the
Note: There is is no real encryption; it is just to make the passwords
difficult to read for humans.
The warning from the README is still valid:
ATTENTION: The account settings are stored in a plain text file in a
directory 'plugins/mailbox' below the directory where vdr stores its
setup files. The file will be created with umask 0x600, therefore
only the user which executes vdr is able to read this file.
If you consider this insecure, don't use this plugin.
- Added a key in the Mailbox-View to refresh a single mailbox.
- Added a new OSD-menu to display the communication log for accounts
which have debugging enabled. The log is reachable in the following
- Configuration of a mail account
- IMAP folder selection view
- Corrected a bug which caused that sometimes the last lines of mails
- The background check for new mail is now stopped in the
cPlugin::Stop() method of the plugin (according to the HISTORY of
- Added a help-screen to all OSD-menus which displays a generated list
of valid keys/actions. The help-screen is (currently) reachable with
key 0 (if no element is active, which consumes the key 0).
- Actions that aren't supported for the current account type aren't
visible (e.g. setting the flag "/FLAGGED" or "/SEEN" for POP3
- Key-handling in the configuration menus is now similar to editing
channels in vdr
- Changed the configuration menus for mail accounts
- several separate options instead of the long mailbox-string
- accounts can now be duplicated
- accounts can be tested directly within the configuration dialog
- reordering of mail accounts is now possible
- Completely restructured the OSD- and key-handling in all OSD menus.
- Corrected a bug when fetching multipart mails.
- More characters are usable for user name, password and account name.
(Thanks to Peter Herold for reporting this one.)
- Use proportial font to display the mail text instead of monospaced
- When started the Mailbox-View calls Display() before all mail accounts
are checked - otherwise the status-message ("Checking mailbox xxx")
is displayed below the main menu of vdr.
(Thanks to Olaf Henkel for reporting this one.)
2006-06-05: Version 0.4.0-pre2
- Update the color buttons when selecting another mail according
to the status flags.
- Avoid some warnings about missing translations for the keys 0..9
in the help screen.
- The setting of vdr 'OSDMessageTime' is now used as the time to display
the osd message "new mail in ..., open?".
(Suggested by Ronny Kornexl)
- Fixed some issues with gcc 3.2
(Thanks to Stephan Sachse for providing the patch)
2006-06-10: Version 0.4.0-pre3
- Added a remark about the required version of the c-client-library to
the INSTALL file:
Version 2004 of the c-client library is required. The plugin was
developed with version 2004a of the library (contained in
imap-2004a.tar.Z). The current version 2004g may work too, but was not
tested by the author.
- Added option to mail account settings to specify if new mails in the
mail account should influence the state delivered by the internal
service call which could be used e.g. to display a mail icon in replay
and channel info.
- Allow ':' in the hostname of mail accounts.
- Added '-fPIC' to CXXFLAGS in Makefile
(Suggested by Thomas Günther)
- Fixed a bug which was introduced in pre2 which caused the background
thread to display the message "New mail in XXX, open?" after every
(Reported by Thomas Günther)
2006-06-11: Version 0.4.0
- no changes since pre3
More information about the vdr