[vdr] femon cleanup/SVDRP enhancement

Frank Schmirler vdr at schmirler.de
Thu Jun 22 13:19:18 CEST 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:15:10 +0300 (EEST), Rolf Ahrenberg wrote
> Femon's current frontend svdrp commands (STAT,NAME,SGNL,SNRA,BERA,
> UNCB) are using the actual device as a fixed parameter, so, you'll
> currently need just to tune the server to the same channel as your
> clients are using and you'll always get the correct information. All
> those mentioned svdr commands also print out the card index, if
> you'll need to show that to your clients too.

I guess that should work on a headless streaming server like mine when I add
the dummydevice plugin and set the primary device to it, right? Without dummy
device it won't tune to a different channel if the primary device is
recording. Might work for me, so I will give it a try.

But in case more people are interested in it: what would happen on a server
with someone watching live TV on the FF card and the client streaming from the
budget card? Can't test it as I have no FF card, but I guess the SVDRP CHAN
command would change the channel visible on the server. Could be annoying if
the guy behind the client loves femon statistics...

> If your server-client-system is having a dedicated plugin on both
> ends, you could use the service interface to access frontend
> information: femonclient plugin should hopefully give you a glimpse
> how it could be done.

I have it running that way at home. Getting the card index was easy that way
as of course streamdev-server knows it. But I also had to extend the femon
service interface to get the information by card index. I don't like this
solution as it requires patching streamdev-server, streamdev-client and femon.
 That's why I decided to rewrite the whole thing based on SVDRP and trying to
patch femon only.

Cheers,
Frank