[vdr] Vdr-xine and XvMC?

Petri Helin petri.j.helin at welho.com
Mon Mar 13 00:09:24 CET 2006

Seppo Ingalsuo wrote:
> Has someone had success with XvMC? Video decoding, even 1080i HDTV promo
> channels from Astra, works with very low CPU load but I get no VDR OSD
> and I think aspect ratio for 16:9 video is wrong. XvMC driver is from
> Nvidia 7676, vdr, vdr-xine, etc. are latest versions. X desktop size is
> 1368x768.
> The same systems runs nicely with Xv output method but there is a little
> bit too little power to run a good deinterlacer such GreedyH without
> cheap mode for HDTV. It would be also nice to have automatic separate
> deinterlacer configurations for SDTV and HDTV but I belive that goes out
> of scope of vdr-xine plugin, right?
> BR,
> Seppo

I have a 6600gt, version 8178 of NVidia's drivers and the following
setup for VDR and Xine:

xine.autoPrimaryDeviceMode = autoPrimaryDeviceOn
xine.modeLiveTV.prebufferFrames = 8
xine.muteMode = muteSimulate
xine.osdGammaCorrection = 123
xine.osdMode = osdBlendClipped
xine.transparencyMode = transparencyOn
xine.volumeMode = volumeChange

With that I get about 50 - 60% load with AMD XP 2800+ when watching
EURO1080 via cable and OSD works also. My understanding is that you
cannot use postprocess deinterlacers with xvmc, but I am not totally
sure about that.

PS This config isn't used too often so it is most likely the  best possible.